Skip to main content

Woman drags husband to court over threat to life


A middleaged woman, Mariam Adegoke has dragged her husband, Akeem before a Grade C Customary Court sitting in Agodi area of Ibadan over alleged death threat. Mariam, who resides with her husband and children at Apetere area of Ibadan, wants their 18-year-old marriage dissolved because she suffered a heavy burden in the marriage.
She complained that she could not leave her husband, before now because his first wife died two years after divorcing him.
“I’m his second wife and I had wanted to divorce him before now, but he threatened me that any woman that divorces him would die. And I learnt his first wife died two years after divorcing him.
“So, I’m pleading with this court to help dissolve this union so I can go my way,” she told the court.
According to her, Akeem had not been taking care of her and the children but depended on her business for his financial needs.
“He has no job to support the family, but rather depends on me. I have been through a lot with him, but what further made me make up my mind is the fact that he also beats me.”
Akeem, while responding to the allegation, said he never threatened his wife. He explained that he was not ready to divorce Mariam because of their children.
Akeem a businessman turned farmer said when things became difficult, he went into farming in order to make ends meet and sustain the family. He said he still provides food for his family and also assisted his wife in setting up a business to assist her financially.
“I never threatened her with death and I never wanted her dead because I want us to reap the fruits of our labour. I take care of my family to the best of my ability and the children know. I don’t want this marriage dissolved because I want our children to be well brought up and responsible in our society,” Akeem said.
Their 17 year-old son, Tunde, when summoned before the court as his father’s witness affirmed to the discord between his parents but pleaded that the court reunite them for the benefit of he and his siblings.
“I don’t want our family apart and that was why I had all my siblings stay home hoping this will make our parents reconcile”, he said.
The presiding court president, Chief Amusa Makinde, who observed that the duo can still be reconciled adjourned the case till September 9 for possibility of any positive development.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Trainer of female bombers’ arrested in Kano'

The Joint Task Force (JTF) in Kano has arrested a man suspected to be the trainer of female suicide bombers. 16 females said to be undergoing training for suicide operations were also arrested. According to report, the man identified as Ibrahim Ibrahim was arrested in Dala local government area of the state during a raid carried out by the task force. Report said the females were being trained to carry out suicide bombings when JTF raided their training ground and arrested them and their trainer. The Spokesman of the JTF in Kano, Captain Ikechukwu Eze, confirmed the arrest, saying investigation is still ongoing on the matter.

COMMUNIQUE OF THE CATHOLIC BISHOPS OF IBADAN ECCLESIASTICAL PROVINCE MEETING AT THE POPE JOHN PAUL II PASTORAL CENTRE, ADO-EKITI FROM 11TH TO 12TH AUGUST, 2014

Preamble We, Bishops of Ibadan Ecclesiastical Province, comprising Ibadan Archdiocese, Ondo, Ekiti, Ilorin, Oyo and Osogbo Dioceses have held our meeting at the Pastoral Institute, Ado Ekiti from 11th till 12th August 2014. We have prayerfully deliberated on matters of pastoral, spiritual, social and political interest and now conclude with the following communique: 1. The Pallium, of the new Archbishop of Ibadan Province We thank God Almighty for the event of the imposition of the pallium, the symbol of the authority of the Metropolitan archbishop, on the new Archbishop of Ibadan, Most Reverend Gabriel ‘Leke Abegunrin on the 29th of June 2014 in Rome by His Holiness, Pope Francis. We thank the large Nigerian delegation that witnessed the occasion and pray that the Archbishop’s tenure witness unprecedented pastoral progress in our Province. 2. The Ebola Epidemic. The Ebola epidemic is a source of worry to all peoples all over the world. We highly commend the government ...

‘Ebola not caused by witchcraft’

A rights group in the United Kingdom (UK), the Witchcraft and Human Rights Information Network (WHRIN), has called for more enlightenment on the Ebola virus. WHRIN’s Executive Director Gary Foxcroft said superstitious beliefs and inadequate health facilities may lead to the spread of the virus. The activist urged the United Nations (UN) bodies, governments, aid agencies and civil society organisations (CSOs) to demystify the causes of the outbreak. He noted that proper enlightenment would enable communities to understand that the disease is not caused by witchcraft to curb its spread. “Ebola is not caused by witchcraft. Rather, it is an infectious disease with a rational, scientific explanation of how it was created, how it is spread and how it can be treated. There is a huge amount of work that needs to be done to demystify the medical condition that is commonly associated with witchcraft across West Africa. They need to use all media tools at their disposal ...